Sunday, July 03, 2005

I'm in DC right now, trying to figure out something fun to do with my brother. Just got off of a long weekend in Pennsylvania with the entire family. We were having a reunion to celebrate our roots with a pretty sweet guy Judge White (all you who ever wondered about my middle name...). I have a strange family. But the weekend was without a single dull moment. Had family come from California, Arizona, Texas, Ohio, Vermont, (Utah), and Sweden! And some other places I can't remember.

I think I've finally caught up on some sleep. Last weekend Jeremy and Karla came to visit me. Spent monday, tuesday, and wednesday camping out behind the dorms in Zion. I took off Wednesday to go hiking with them. Went out to eat and met up with Matt, Tim, and Phil who then stayed till Friday. It was so good to see familiar faces again. I love those guys. All of us were tripping on our own feet because we were so sleepy- Tim and Phil from driving out from Indiana, me from staying up each night with Jeremy and Karla- but we all decided Wednesday night that we needed to get a hike in before I had to leave for Pennsylvania. So at 11 pm we set out on Angel's Landing trail. One of the stupider things I've done. The moon never came out and it is pitch black out there. We'd peer over the cliff with our little headlamps and it was so far down that the light never reached anything to light up. Just darkness. And a creepy, chilly wind. But we were all to proud to ever turn around. We can say we've hiked Angel's landing, but we cannot say we've ever seen it. Got maybe an hour and a half of sleep that night before going to work at 6 am.

Caught a shuttle to Vegas after meeting the guys one last time to get some gelato. Slept a bit in my layover in Denver but was awakened and alert when I heard a Jehova's Witness try to witness to a Mormon. Was too sleepy to add my two cents. It was very interesting to listen to. I wish we could all learn to keep our ears open when someone of another faith begins to share. Instead, we argue our points even harder and shut up our minds even tighter. Didn't get any sleep on the flight to Baltimore because I met an interesting guy who I talked to for the entire 5 hours or so. He reminded me so much of Anthony Riske! Even worked at a Christian "adventure" camp. Actually, I think I tricked my mind into thinking it was Riske just because it felt so nice to talk to an old friend again. I didn't mind that I didn't get any sleep again. I made it up on this weekend.

Hope to write more often now that I'm getting internet issues worked out. I'm told there's a hotel in town I can go to to get wireless... and no annoying librarians who give me a few minutes and then roll their eyes and sigh when I ask for a couple more. Also, I'm going to figure out the picture thing... soon!

I love visitors, so if you're in the area of Utah, let me know. I'll find you a place to stay. Sorry this post is uninspiring, unenthusiastic, lacking big words and fancy philosphies, but just a story of what I've done in the past week. I'll have to get that mystical side of my brain working again soon. It's been taking a long break.

2 comments:

Megan said...

hey jules! i missed seeing you at the wedding, but i got your rsvp card. it was sweet. i hope you're having a wonderful summer, and i hope that you get back to the midwest at some point!

Tim said...

What do you mean "So at 11 pm we set out on Angel's Landing trail. One of the stupider things I've done."?! I have to disagree with you. I think it was one of the most fun and memorable things I've ever done.