Monday, August 08, 2005

Ibrahim Ferrer and the Buena Vista Social Club

Remember when they'd pass around an attendance sheet at IWU meetings or classes and strange and suspect names would suddenly appear? Or maybe that was only the religion division. I could never contain my smile when I'd watch poor Bonita go around collecting the clipboards, just imagining her trying to figure out who in the world goes by the name Jiminy Crickett or the typical Seymour Butts (I bet she figured those ones out). But my greatest joy (I mean, it literally made me kick my feet back and forth underneath me in glee) was writing Ibrahim Ferrer and the Buena Vista Social Club. I think they attended all of our senior year meetings and religion department functions.

Sad news guys. Ibrahim will no longer be attending. He passed away on Saturday.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/06/ferrer.obit.ap/index.html

But don't let that keep you from checking out some great music that can transcend all musical trends and top 40 lists. Some of you may have had the pleasure of listening to it in my little Scrappy... especially a group of 6 (or 7?) of you that crammed into my car to go to Icehouse that one last time. I miss those days too much. I'll pop the cd back in tonight and reminisce.

juli

3 comments:

Tim said...

I bought one of their cds a couple months back. They play with such joy and passion (at least that's how it seems to me). Thankfully the little book in the front of the cd has the lyrics translated to english ... so I know what they're saying.

mlbeck said...

Oh to be back in the front seat on Phil's lap with my bare feet hanging out the window pressing the "Burnt Marshmallow's" big red triangle button that turned on the snaple cap flashers every few minutes or so. Can't say I remember Ibrahim or his club though...all I remember hearing was Dan Payton talking about the Bible in the back seat. But either way, I offer my condolences and this moment of silence.













Lo siento mucho.

Jared said...

you guys are weird. just plain weird. weird.