Monday, March 14, 2005

This is the rest of the story...

I've received a lot of nice comments since coming back to school about my last post. People tell me it was amusing. Well thankyou. Maybe someday when I'm dead and gone my great grand-neice will publish my diaries and make them into a book. But of course, you won't be able to read them then either because you'll hopefully be dead too. Sorry, I mean that in the nicest sense. I'm not wishing for your death. I mean that for your greatest good. Nobody wants to live forever right? I'll let you in on a little secret. On my last diary I wrote on the first page specifically how many generations must pass before anyone is allowed to read it. I think I'm very nervous about people reading that kind of stuff so this blog is pushing my limits in what I can and cannot bring myself to share. I don't live some secretive creepy life. I just experience the ups and downs of life and I write about them as they are. It's been so good to keep a journal throughout college. I think everyone really should and there aren't too many things I think are so universally important for everyone to do. So take that seriously ok?

Anyway, back to reality and this surfacy superficial post that will only go as deep as I allow because you have to wait for my book to come out in 2105...

I've been asked to share what else I did over break. I only shared one day, but that's probably because the best stories are from that day. I promise, no other day was as humbling and emberassing and full of story as that day, so the rest of this entry is just facts... nothing funny.

I arrived on Saturday and my brother picked me up at the Baltimore airport. I hung out with him and my cousins who live in Bethesda. That night we met up with a friend of his at a bar (no I don't drink, but I appreciated the smoke-free atmosphere!). His friend is from Peru so I got to talk to him about ceviche and IncaKola and stuff like that. The next morning I took my brother's car and drove down to Virginia to stay with my aunt and uncle. Wow, even though the signs may say 55, everyone does 80. So I got to drive like a maniac also.

My visit with my aunt and uncle was amazing. My uncle is sick with cancer, but they have such a faith and peace that they are in God's hands, come what may. When my aunt was not tending to my uncle she was out in the living room with me sitting on the couch talking about God. She taught me so much. I feel like I went through three full days of spiritual training. We talked about nothing else. I admit, it wore me out. But I'm glad it did. If it didn't, I'd begin to question if any change at all took place. My physical weariness was proof to me that there was change taking place in my spirit. I am so thankful. I want to talk more about the lessons I learned later so this is not too long.

I drove back to DC on Wednesday morning and this is the amusing day I described already. Thursday I decided I had had enough of the metro and downtown so I drove to a couple stores and a mall where everyone wore furry coats and pointed their noses toward the ceiling. Every store I went into, the workers would follow me around asking if I needed help. Did I look like that much of a hoodlum to them? At one point I was walking around the store with a shirt from a clearance rack in my hand and I was still looking around at the other clothes. The worker who had followed me the entire time came by my side and says "Don't you want to try that on before you buy it?" I looked at her with pure confusion... "I'm... not... in line to buy it right now. I'm still looking." Then when I finally go to the counter to buy it, she asks me "Did anyone help you today?" Once again, confusion and irritation in my voice... "Um, only you, a few times." She blushed and mumbled something. My advice: Don't go to the White Flint Mall unless you're dressed for the occasion.

We went to dinner that night at another bar with my cousins and their daughter where they were auctioning off dates with firemen. I hope I never have to auction myself off. I think I'd rather not.
On friday, Joe took me to the National Aquarium in Baltimore. Wow, that place is amazing... especially the dolphin show. I felt like a little kid. I'm so amazed by everything, especially fish lips. Fish lips are one of the funniest things on this planet. There's so much variety. Every breed of fish has different lips and all are equally amusing. Some are puckering up to kiss you, others are in the O-shape of constant surprise, and others just like to smile, a lot. My favorite tank had a really fat fish who swam like he was standing up on his hind fins and he hovered at the top of the tank looking like he was belting out opera songs. Another fish swam back and forth beneath him opening and closing his fish lips like he was laughing at him. Sorry, I know nobody cares this much about fish lips.

Saturday I flew back to Indianapolis. And that's my spring break. To everyone who knew about my dilemmas leading up to it, this was all meant to be. I know now. I truly believe God had a plan and major lessons he wanted me to learn, which I'll share later. When I see things come together like this, I have to admit, even though it's hard to believe, God must love me a lot and my life is truly in his hands.

2 comments:

Jared said...

I notice alck of wriitng lately. Come on girl. Your public is in...

Jared said...

"a lack"