Monday, April 11, 2005

babysitter for hire

I was sitting in front of my computer today, reading the Monday Memo as all good religion students do, and I saw this wonderful ad: (names changed... I'm attacking the concept, not the church)

Blabla Friends Church, 15 minutes east of campus, is seeking a youth pastor to attend Sunday morning worship, lead both junior high and senior high school youth groups, attend extra curricular activities of the youth and spend free time with them. 10-12 hours weekly. $850 monthly salary. Contact Mr. Blabla at (765) 628-blaa or the church (765) 628-blaa or e-mail: blablabla@blablanet.

I know they meant no harm. I know they didn't want a babysitter because they would have just said "babysitter" and not "youth pastor." But might they as well have? I know this is nothing new. I know I'm not being profound. Who needs that when we're already ignoring the truth we know? This has been an irritation to me for some time, but I just sucked it up and dealt with it. That's what youth ministry has come down to, right? The parents drop the kids off and you have to find some good ways to entertain them (they can be a tough crowd...). And you figure you might as well throw in a bit of your spiritual beliefs since you have that captive audience and all. I know, I know. There are some pretty amazing youth ministries going on right inside the church and some pretty incredible youth pastors along with some extremely devoted parents. It does happen.

But I don't want to get sucked into a babysitting job after I graduate. I just won't. If I really wanted to attend extracurricular activities and hang out with young people, I'd just rather save myself the humiliation of being called something I'm not and just do it instead on my own time.

That's my irritation with youth ministry right now. I know it's probably caused by my fears of the coming doom of graduation and practicums that were done half-heartedly because I knew they were for a season and a grade and I know God could still be calling me to youth ministry someday. But I refuse to be a babysitter. Somehow, I'll draw that line. I want to be a dreamer and I want to cause the youth to dream. I want the Church to see young people as more than a possibility, but a promise, that they can and will make the difference in this world, now and in the years to come. I want to be inspirational and I want to be inspired. (this is all just a bunch of lovely, wishy-washy words. I really don't know how to write what I want to be or how I plan on "ministering" instead of "sitting")

Does anyone else have an idea how to draw this line?

2 comments:

Jared said...

ya know what? I think 'actually babysitting' gets paid better per hour than youth ministry...just a thought.

cujo said...

This line you are talking about lies distincly within your passions. There is no way you would allow yourself to fall into the position of a "babysitter." Whoever hires you thinking of you as a babysitter will be greatly suprised at what you will do with that oppurtunity. I honestly don't think there is a line to be drawn just a fire that needs to constantly be fueled.