Friday, February 25, 2005

the Me show

I'm not going to write in this everyday. Someone asked the question the other day, "What did you spend the majority of your time today doing?" You know how those questions usually go... you look at yourself, reflect, realize you did nothing of value and that your piles of homework are stilll waiting for you, untouched, and then ashamedly admit that you failed, yet again. But I was so glad to realize, though I never crossed a single thing off my post-it lists, I spend most of the day in relationships. And I don't mean just hanging out with friends. I mean I got to sit and listen and give advice and encourage and smile and laugh and love and watch the people around me grow. I love it! Those are the times I have to remember to remind myself I am called to some type of ministry. There is a joy I get from people that I get from nothing else. The joy I get from nature is so strong, but in a different way. I'd say a day spent with either of these joys, whether inside with a few people I value or outside all alone in nature, is a day very well spent.

So I won't write in this everyday because I hope most of my words fall off my tongue to another person and not my fingertips onto a keyboard. And I also hope I get outside soon... if this Indiana weather will make up its mind... And though I understand some people can do this every day, I am not that good at managing my time. And well, the only reason I've been writing this week is really because it has been a horribly busy week and I usually do senseless, worthless things when I know there are projects and book reports looming overhead.

I don't want to make this too long, but I realized another thing. Since I am really good at wasting time I don't have, today I was filling in the rest of that profile info that Jared and Pete made me rush through so fast. And I started to feel kind of funny... like, what is the purpose of all this? Why do we do this? Who needs to know my favorite books and movies and music and stuff but the creepy stalker guy that finds out that lo and behold both of you love the movie Monsoon Wedding and then you wonder why you ever shared that information to begin with. And yes, I want to use this to keep my thoughts organized and to keep in touch with people, but the thought struck me... this is a website all about me! Is that why we do it? Come on bloggy people. Let me know the purpose of this. Was selfishness the reality of the whole blog concept? If so, I feel kind of stupid for doing it now.

7 comments:

Jared said...

its community. you're part of something when you write and read blogs. that's what it is for me.

Anonymous said...

Yay Juli! You got a blog. :-) That's awesome.

Kara said...

Blogging is a good way to let others know what you are thinking when you can't be around them. I have acctually been touched by what some people write, challenged, and humored. I feel like I am sitting with you hearing you speak as I read.

Anonymous said...

hey jules... i stumbled across your blog... i used to have a blog, but then i found livejournal. and now i have a xanga too. i miss you soooo muches! hope to see you in june. love you...

Unknown said...

I learn much about what you care about from your blog, and when we know others are reading it we sometimes take extra care in its presentation and it comes out sort of...smoother, ya know?

I post so I can practice the art of journaling (therapy). It helps me sort out what is important to me that week (or more often) and sometimes, i get into some great discussions. Other times I end up posting a really good piece of work and someone else stumbles across it and we sort of connect from afar.

I have never had a stalker yet (knock on wood). What is Monsoon's Wedding?

juli said...

wow guys. I feel loved. Thankyou for your opinions and stuff. I appreciate again the purpose of this and I'm more excited to continue and not worry about being all self-centered about it... though I believe those people are out there... I will just choose not to be one of them ok? Hello Megan and Brittany! Glad you found me! If anything, connecting relationships like that makes this all worth it. I like the whole community thing like you guys all said.

juli said...

oops, forgot to explain to Jason... Monsoon Wedding is a movie my aunt and uncle out in Tucson made my family watch when we were out there and maybe the reason I like it so much is because I appreciate everything more when I'm out west, but it is really an incredible movie. It's set in India and the main character's family is arranging a marriage for her. It has a lot of lessons on love and respect and duty and forgiveness. We'll have to um, wait to watch this till after April though, because of certain IWU rules... The cinematography (is that the right word?) is amazing. The music is beautiful. Oh I just love it.