Wednesday, February 23, 2005

my voice

I like music. Right now, the guys would be happy to hear that I am listening to Derek Webb because Jared was singing "I Repent" as he came out of the student center and drove off on his little bike. April 10th, Derek Webb and Steven Delopoulos are playing in Kentucky... that's worth the drive. If I could ever see a band back together again, of all the band breakups in history, (and this is a pretty bold statement I think), it would be Burlap to Cashmere. Delopoulos and his cousin came to IWU last semester and it was incredible. Incredibly short, yet still incredible. When it comes to music, I do appreciate lyrics, but lyrics usually just speak to my mind. The sound and feel of the music does something more. I don't know what, but it's that certain gritty sound of the guitar in the middle of U2's "Love and Peace" or the percussion solos in the middle of Gypsy Kings (I get made fun of for that, but I still like the little spurts of joy that Gypsy Kings gives me).

So on this little blog thingy, I will probably talk about music, and I'll probably put lyrics to songs that are meaningful to me. But I don't want to mislead you into thinking all my favorite words are spoken by somebody else... if that makes sense. It's a great thing that music speaks to people in all sorts of ways. That's nothing short of miraculous. Music is miraculous. But it's disappointing when you realize music also has the power to cut off our own words, making us mute. We don't know how to explain our feelings but this song does so we share that song with somebody. We are craving to know God more, yet we forget how to speak to him so we let this worship song be our words. Sometimes that's right and beautiful. But sometimes I catch myself shrinking and quieting and (muting?) and using other peoples' words so much that I haven't used my own voice and opinions for a long while. And I think, wow, this is kind of tragic. And I pull out my journal and I write. And sometimes it takes a week or so to get back into it because I haven't practiced my own voice for awhile. But it comes.

So I'm going to put lyrics on here, yes. But I'm going to put my own stuff on too if you don't mind. It's not that good because some of it was written when I was just remembering how to talk again. So give me some grace here and there, ok?

Use your voice today.
juli

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Inspiring and well written my friend. I find that my voice often gets muddled since I write so many papers based on others opinions on a subject. Being a student is difficult. The system says to us in sort of a passive way that our voice has not earned the right to be heard yet, that others have more important things to say. I believe this campus has the same effect. I appreciate your clarion call to get into hearing our own voice again, it is great advice.