Tuesday, October 18, 2005

get ready for overload of worthless story and picture

The following posts were all supposed to be part of the same entry but I can't seem to post more than one picture without freezing up my computer and having to restart it, which I've stupidly done several times tonight. The strange shadows in the corners of my pictures are because I have a wide-angle lens which doesn't fit on my camara so I try to hold it steady in front of my lens, but as you can see, I often miss.

So yesterday morning on my day off I went to Snow Canyon in St. George. It was so gorgeous. I was alittle afraid going alone, but it turned out to be alright. It’s kinda funny that I could probably count on my fingers how many words I spoke to another human all day… It was a lonely day, but it was fine, not like some of my other lonely days.

I've sometimes heard Snow canyon nicknamed "little Zion" because it has very similar landscapes. I think it is an intersection of the Mohave desert, the Great Basin, and the Colorado Plateau. There are active sand dunes and others are petrified. There’s an old volcano and tons of lava flows. Desert shrubs like live oak, creosote, and sage are everywhere and the contrast of these beautiful greens against the blacks of volcanic rock and desert varnish on the sandstone and the red rocks and blue sky are astounding.


No comments: