Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Manzanar "War Relocation Center," California

I heard from a local that Manzanar was a must see. It's a Japanese internment camp from WWII that doesn't really exist much anymore, even though it's a national historic sight. There's a visitor center and they brought one mess hall back so we can see atleast one building as it stood in the 40s. The rest of the camp is just a collection of signs that you drive around and see where buildings once stood. I couldn't believe I hadn't known more about this. And though it's situated on a busy, tourist-traveled scenic highway between Yosemite and Death Valley, I was one of the few visitors there. Here's a picture of the Manzanar entrance, cemetary, and Camo net factory where the camp residents/prisoners? helped "contribute to the war effort." The video at the visitor center was incredible and all 7 of us in there I think cried.



No comments: