Tuesday, February 07, 2006

ok now it hits home

I'm proud to be here. We're in our third week of training and we still have a couple more but I am so anxious to get out there and make a difference. This week the Red Cross has been in giving us an overview of disaster response and all the situations we might encounter. The other day we all were certified in first aid and CPR. Last week we learned how to change the tires and chain the tires of our vans. This week we're also learning basic construction to get ready to build or rebuild homes.

Last friday our team was at a coffee shop (in our fabulous Americorps khakis and greys) and I looked up to see an older couple walk by and the man got this cute little smile across his face when he saw us and said, "Thankyou. Thankyou for all you kids do," and he went on saying a few other things I couldn't understand. Wow. I don't know if I've ever been so proud to be a part of something. And then yesterday the Red Cross workers were telling us how much they rely on Americorps NCCC and how much of their disaster relief is made up of Americorps kids. I got that little proud smile again.

I've been thinking for some time how much I like college age kids (I still count myself as one of these of course). We're so full of potential. Like my Americorps training, we've been sitting in classes most our lives, and we're anxious, so anxious to get out and do something. We're so full of energy, and passion just searching to find a place to root itself. NCCC is such a good idea... taking this fire and passion when it's at its greatest and putting it to work, in areas that are in so much need. One of the smartest things a president has ever done for young adults was putting this group back into effect.

I was thinking about this all yesterday and then we were told we had an important unscheduled corps meeting in the afternoon. We all noisily crowded into the auditorium, and I joked how hopefully we were going to finally find out who failed the drug tests. But then a hush fell over the room as we noticed the faces of the Denver corps leaders. Some looked like they had been crying. Americorps is their life and with tears they shared with us that Bush has proposed his 2007 budget and he has decided to shut down the entire NCCC program. According to his little measuring tool, it has been deemed "ineffective" and very costly.

I have very little room to talk. I don't know what NCCC is all about. I've only been a part of it for a short time. But I have heard story after story and seen pictures of the work these people have done and there is no way this program is ineffective. And not only is Americorps NCCC cut but apparently 140 other public service organizations!

We were assured today that the money is there for us to complete our year of service but if we want this program to continue for other generations, we need to rally our family and friends. We aren't allowed to do a whole lot since we're working for the man, but PLEASE, look into this issue. I don't know a whole lot since it's so fresh and I'm so out of touch with the world lately. But I believe this is a big deal, a scary deal.

I've never been a fan of war. I never think dropping bombs on civilians is a useful way to bring peace to a country. I never liked the way our president smirks when people ask if he's seen the latest polls, "Really? I try not to pay too much attention to that." But I never outright disliked this man until this. I do not feel I am being taken care of in this country and I cannot imagine what the thousands of victims of natural and man-made disaster, environmental degradation, poor economic status, slipping schooling, limited or no health care, and just being born in the wrong place at the wrong time are going to think in these coming years when there are no more programs to assist them. Instead, the "leader" of this decaying country is off fighting a battle to win a prize of his own.

Yesterday, Rev. Joseph Lowery spoke at Mrs. King's funeral... "She deplored the terror inflicted by our smart bombs on missions way afar. We know now there were no weapons of mass destruction over there. But Coretta knew, and we knew, that there are weapons of misdirection right down here. Millions without health insurance. Poverty abounds. For war, billions more, but no more for the poor."

NPR-Bush's cuts http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5192631
AmeriCorps NCCC http://www.americorps.gov/about/programs/nccc.asp
SAVENCCC.org http://web.mac.com/thomashowardjr/iWeb/Site%203/Information.html
Voices for National Service http://www.voicesforservice.org/legis_update.htm
NCCC alumni http://www.beyondnccc.org/

No comments: